- 5 slices white bread (4 ounces), cut into cubes
- 2 ½ pounds gala, red or golden delicious apples (5 apples), cored, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Toast bread cubes in a 375 degrees oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool and crush into a coarse meal. Drizzle butter over bread crumbs and toss.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and half of the bread crumbs into the apples.Pour apple mixture into a 9×9 baking dish and top with remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes, halfway through remove foil and cook until top is golden brown.