What’s better tasting then cheesy cauliflower…or cheesy anything for that matter! This recipe is simply delicious. It’s creamy goodness! However, it is on the moderate side of cooking. It’s not as simple as some recipes. But, if you follow the steps, the end result will please you. First gather your supplies: a large head of cauliflower, butter, flour, milk, a garlic clove, egg yolks, parmesan cheese, mild cheddar and Italian bread crumbs.
You’ll start off this recipe by cutting the cauliflower into medium size chunks. Bring a large pot, with salted water, to a boil and place cauliflower in. Allow it to boil for roughly 5 to 7 minutes. Once this is finished remove a cup of cauliflower broth and save it for later, drain the rest from the pot. Remove the cauliflower and set aside in another dish.
Use the pot to melt some butter over a medium heat. Whisk in some flour and cook for about a minute. The next step is to add the milk, broth and minced garlic. This gets cooked for 7 to 10 minutes, once this is smoothed out you can add the cauliflower, and then remove from heat. At this point you can add your cheeses and egg yolks. However, keep 1/8 cup of parmesan for later…
In the meantime start preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Afterwards pour your cauliflower mixture into a greased pan. Sprinkle it with the leftover parmesan and bread crumbs. Allow this to bake for about 30 minutes (or until it’s a nice bubbling brown).
Before serving your delicious dish, that serves 6-8, make sure to let it cool. Set it aside for about 10 minutes then serve and enjoy!
Description by Ashley Horst
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut in to medium size pieces
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups italian bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 cups mild cheddar
Serves 6-8 Prep Time 10 min Cook Time 30 min
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and add cauliflower. Let boil 5-7 minutes, save 1 cup of the cauliflower broth and set aside. Drain the rest and put cauliflower in a separate dish, set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pot over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, broth, garlic, and cook about 7-10 minutes. Stir continuously until it has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses (leaving aside 1/8 cup of parmesan for topping) and egg yolks. When is smooth, gently fold in cauliflower.
- Next, grease a 13×9 pan, pour in cauliflower mixture, and sprinkle on the remaining parmesan and italian bread crumbs. Put it in the oven for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly! When it’s done, let it cool for about 10 minutes and serve. The sauce will thicken up nicely when it has cooled a bit!