Italian Vegetarian Recipes –
This calzone was delicious! It’s is a user submitted recipe that I got the pleasure to go over to their home and taste test. At the first bite I knew this was going to have to be uploaded! The crust was the perfect texture, and the filling may be my favorite of all time. I hope you guys try this one out for sure. I know you will enjoy it as much as I did.We plan to provide more italian vegetarian recipes soon!
We hope you give these calzones a try. The crust is absolutely perfect. You could easily change the filling to be whatever you want. You could make these into an italian dessert or even breakfast by filling it with seasoned eggs and cheese. The possibilities could be endless.
For more simple italian recipes, check out our site often as we update it frequently with new recipes. If you want to see more italian pastries recipes or more italian vegetarian recipes let us know in the comments.
Healthy Italian Recipe?
It seems italian recipes lean towards being unhealthy. They tend to be high in carbs, and in fat. It doesn’t need to be that way! For the crust you can use gluten-free, or a whole wheat flour. For filling try lower fat ricotta cheeses, or a completely customized filling that’s more to your liking!
- 1 cup water, wrist temperature
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 package chopped spinach, drained
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, sautéed in butter and lightly salted
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- For the Dough: Knead 10-15 min. then cover in warm area x 1 hour (or) place in bread machine on dough setting 1.5 hours.
- For the Filling: Mix cheeses, onion, and seasonings. Roll out dough flat and fill with filling. Wet the edges of dough before folding over to seal dough. Fold edges over and press with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees 15-20min. Brush top with butter for a beautiful golden sheen.