- 5 slices white bread (4 ounces), cut into cubes
- 2 ½ pounds gala, red or golden delicious apples (5 apples), cored, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Toast bread cubes in a 375 degrees oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool and crush into a coarse meal. Drizzle butter over bread crumbs and toss.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and half of the bread crumbs into the apples.Pour apple mixture into a 9×9 baking dish and top with remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes, halfway through remove foil and cook until top is golden brown.
Recipes for Everyday Life
Sign up today for great recipes delivered right to your inbox! Plus, a free gift for you!