- 1 cup cake flour
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Be sure that your 10-inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any residue could deflate the egg whites. Sift together the flour and ¾ cup of the sugar, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt, until medium stiff peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, a third at a time. It’s important to not over-mix. Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- In the preheated oven, bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched. Invert the tube pan on the top of a pop or beer bottle (this will prevent decompression while it cools). When it’s cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
- Preheat your grill and lightly coat the grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Place slices of angel food cake on the rack where there is less heat. Grill for about 3 minutes on each side or until desired toastedness. Serve with strawberry sauce.
- 2 pounds strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes or until all the juices have been released, stir occasionally.
Recipes for Everyday Life
Sign up today for great recipes delivered right to your inbox! Plus, a free gift for you!