This is a savory breakfast to please the whole family. The recipe includes nutrient enriched ingredients like whole grain flour, blueberries, and apple cider vinegar. Additionally, these pancakes are fried in coconut oil. All of these ingredients offer health benefits to the masses. Plus this compilation of ingredients lends itself to a delicious dish.
This is a unique way to enjoy a classic breakfast. The whole grain gives these pancakes a more enriching flavor. The fresh, fruity taste of blueberries complements it well. Plus you can enjoy this dish with any topping of your choosing. The recipe recommends butter with maple syrup or honey. Additionally, it recommends a cinnamon and sugar topping. But, you don’t have to stop there. You can try all sorts of delicious toppings like whipped cream or pancake syrup. Maybe you’d prefer to add a jam to the top. Either way, this is a great rendition of a classic. Another perk, is that this recipe is very easy to make. It gives you the exact steps to properly mixing the ingredients and frying the pancakes. Follow these few steps and you’ll be on your way to a fantastic morning. The actual prep time of this meal is only about ten minutes. The cook time is another 20 minutes. So, in just 30 minutes total you’ll have a tasty dish to share with the family.
Also, keep in mind that you can use frozen or fresh blueberries for this recipe. Check out the frozen and fresh aisle to see what’s more affordable. Either way, it will work. Plus if you grow blueberries you can easily make this all year round, like the author of this recipe. Enjoy a morning enriched by the warming aroma of blueberry pancakes and tasteful toppings.
Written by Ashley Horst
Michigan Blueberry Pancakes
By February 26, 2013Published:
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
We always pick blueberries in July/August in Michigan. So our family buys a few pounds (like 80 or so) and freezes them for use the rest of the year. Makes wonderful pancakes in the winter!
- 3 Cups Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 1/2 Cups Organic Whole Grain Flour
- 3 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Raw Milk may need more milk if you prefer thinner pancakes.
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar we recommend Braggs
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Tbs Organic Sugar or Raw Honey
- Coconut Oil for frying
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl (except not the berries). Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Mix until just together. Don't over mix. If there are lumps, its ok. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Get pan ready for frying pancakes. Melt coconut oil on medium heat.
- Ladle pancake mixture onto hot pan. Add a handful of berries to the top of the pancakes. If they are frozen, don't thaw them out. Just put on frozen. They will thaw as they cook.
- Cook pancakes on first side a few minutes, until you see bubbles on the top. Then flip and cook on blueberry side 2-3 more minutes. Put on a warm plate or in a warm oven while you cook the rest.
- We like to eat them with butter and Michigan pure maple grade B syrup or raw organic honey or cinnamon and sugar. Everyone has their favorite topping!
Recipes for Everyday Life
Sign up today for great recipes delivered right to your inbox! Plus, a free gift for you!