- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 3 cups self-rising flour *
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Mix together the sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add beer and
continue to mix with a spoon and possibly your hands towards the end. The batter
will be a bit sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 for 60 minutes. The
top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft.
* Ah yes, self-rising flour. I always hated when recipes called for this because I never kept it on-hand. I have a simple substitution for you! For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
** Don’t have baking powder?! That happens! You can also make that! 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar and 1 teaspoon corn starch (optional).